Tuesday, 14 June 2011

The Gallery - Dads

The theme for The Gallery over at Sticky Fingers this week is 'Dads' and in a lot of ways it is a sensitive one for me. In fact it is a theme that has dominated my life. I have no relationship with My own Dad (As I have written before here), he is basically a 'dead beat dad' and totally useless, sorry to be so frank but its the truth. The photo above was taken during a family holiday to Cornwall during a time when my Dad was actually my 'Dad' and acted like one. Things only changed when my Mum divorced him and he decided to punish her thirty years ago by making as little effort as he possibly could with his four children. 

So I haven't had a good Father figure in my life and  because of this I vowed from a young age that whoever I married when I grew up would be a good Dad. It was the top on my list of priorities when I got engaged to Papa Syder although I needn't of worried because from day one I knew he would be a A+ father to our kids as I watched him entertain my little Brothers, playing Lego races with them for hours on end.

Papa has given our kids something neither of us had or have...A Fantastic Dad. Such a precious thing for any child to have in their lives. So I thought I would share a photo of the Father of My children, during his favourite time of year...Christmas. He loves Christmas and has already began preparations...yes, yes...I know its only June!



24 comments:

  1. That is a lovely dedication to your husband. I'm so glad that your children know what it is like to have a fantastic father! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing fire place. Your Husband looks like he is one happy Dad. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked the right one! Sounds like he's a pretty perfect dad.
    Is that your telly in the background? It's HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture and starting to prepare for Christmas in June is a bit late isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Everyone and Trish...Yes thats our old telly, Papa had a new one for his 40th this year so our Son has that one now. Yes it is on the big side, Thankfully the new one is a bit smaller, lol x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol Pippa...He starts getting the presents in now so that we can enjoy the build up to xmas with no stress. I do laugh when he starts but also feel relieved that he does it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice picture em I so really remember you in the pram lol. Thats the one me and your mum lost off the bus lol
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, Thanks Jill...I can remember that day too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the most amazing fireplace! I just love christmas scenes and it is so lovely that your husband wants to be a part of it all. I am so sad that missed out on a great Dad, but at least you get to witness your children having one. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a touching post, your kids are very lucky to have such a fantastic Dad, and he is very lucky to have you x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely post... how cosy does your house look too? Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that made me a bit sad :( So glad you met someone so wonderful to make up for it x x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous picture and what a perfect dad you have for your children. I'm sorry you didn't have someone like him in your life to be your dad x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy for you that your husband is such a great father after your own experience xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christmas in your house must be amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pic - soooo of its time! So glad that the heartbreak of your Dad has not held you back from having a rewarding relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yourr husband sounds like such a great hands on father :) I love how he is already planning Christmas! The christmassy photo is lovely - makes me feel festive looking at it x

    ReplyDelete
  19. A great post! You're giving your children what you didn't have, a happy family, there can't be anything more precious. June, planning for Xmas, god, how ever will you be ready in time? Nat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honest, poignant and then lovely post. I had just left a comment on another blog about how awful it must be to have a poor or absent father. I have one of those and then my "real" Dad who I talk about at http://celebratingmums.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved to see both photos, brought up a lot of memories for me....I hope my dd chooses the father of her children better than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry to hear you didn't have the father you would have wished for growing up, but it's awesome to read of the love you have for your husband and what a wonderful father he is. Good on you for putting the past behind you and making your future a positive, wonderful and happy one for your children. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can I come and spend Christmas with you this year please? Lovely dedication to Papa x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...