Thursday, 7 April 2011

Pixum Photo Book Review

The lovely people over at Pixum asked me to review one of their photo books and as I am a complete photo addict I was keen to see what these photo books are like. I have often thought about buying one of these mainly because I really miss the days when we reached up onto our shelves for a 'real' photo album and thumb photo by photo. Don't get me wrong I love the convenience of digital photography but it is just so rare nowadays to have photo's developed in the 'old fashioned' way. 

I went onto Pixum's website and downloaded their free photo book software. You need this as it enables you design your book. When I first opened up the software my initial thought was " Oh poo, this looks a bit complicated". I really would advise that you give yourself a couple of hours to get the feel for the software and to design the layout of your book.
I decided to create my book as a tribute to the special time we spent living in North Devon. As I began to design the layout of the book it actually felt a little bit like digital scrapbooking. You can choose exactly how you want the front and back cover of the book to look, what text you want, backgrounds on all the pages and where you want your photo's to sit on each page. You really can get very creative with your design.
I decided on using a photo of the view from our previous back garden as my front and back cover as it totally shows what North Devon is all about. I used a sea green background on each page as I thought it fitted in well with the seaside feel of our lives while we were there and it complimented my photo's perfectly.
Once I had finished designing I placed my order. The website is very simple to use and ordering took only a matter of minutes. The book took about four days to arrive and was packaged very well in a cardboard envelope. I must admit I did gasp as I opened the package...The front cover really did look lovely and the colours were so vibrant.
I opened the book and was thrilled with the fantastic quality of the prints. I ordered a glossy finish and every page really is super glossy and the feel of the page is second to none. In fact every person I have thrust this book in front of, comment on the same thing...'How lovely the gloss on the page feels.'

The only thing I do wish I had done was write a few more words in the book, maybe catch phrases or quotes.
I will definitely be buying more of these books in future. I think they are excellent value for money and would recommend them to all of my family and friends to buy for a special gift or for special events like holidays, weddings, Christmas etc. If you love traditional photo's then you will love these books.

The book I ordered was the 'Large Landscape' (28 cm x 21 cm) and it comes with hardback covers priced at £24.99 or with the gloss coating £27.99. This price is for 26 pages, additional pages are £4.00 for eight.
Prices do start from only £5.99 for small books (14 cm x 13 cm). These smaller books would make great Easter gifts. Available from the Pixum website.


This product was sent to me free of any charge. I have received no financial reward for writing this review and as a family we always give an honest opinion.

3 comments:

  1. They do look lovely, I may give this a try at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, lovely. I have dozens of cds worth of photos, but, like you say, they cant beat a photo album. what a great idea.
    joy xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...