Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Listography - Things I'd Change About My wedding Day


This weeks listography over at Kate Takes 5 is Five Things I would change about My Wedding Day. There isn't anything major that I would change about my wedding day. I feel I was very lucky to have had a white wedding in a church as Papa and I were only teenagers and pregnant with no money, so My lovely Mummy stepped in and organised everything for us. We married in November 1989, the weather had been awful for weeks before then on my wedding day the sun shone all day long, everyone was saying it was a good omen.

Just before Mum died we were talking about my wedding day and I was telling her how grateful I was to have had such a lovely wedding when she suddenly revealed to me that my wedding anniversary was actually the birthday and death of a baby she had lost 35 years ago, back in the 70's when I was a little girl. Mum explained that she had always found my wedding anniversary a bit of struggle and that on my actual wedding day she had a secret cry in the church toilets as she remembered her baby that wasn't with us to celebrate.

I was gobsmacked and asked why she had never told me "I didnt want you to ever associate your wedding day with a death." was her response "No Mum" I answered "Now we know why the sun shone that day...It was my little brother smiling down on us" Mum smiled and said "Thats a nice way to look at it, I'd never thought of it like that before"

So my list for this week goes a little something like this...

1) DO NOT make a fool of myself and ask my Dad to give me away. I went to his house so excited to tell him I was getting married. I was beaming with pride as I walked into his house. My future hubby by my side I turned to my Dad, giddy with excitement and said "Hope you don't mind wearing top hat and tails Dad when you walk me down the aisle" His reply " Sorry, I wont be going...I wont step foot in a Mormon church" What a Tosser, with a capital T! I felt devastated and so humiliated, tears streamed down my young face as I walked home to my Mum's house. I spent years and years thinking he must really of disliked me to do that to me but have come to realize he probably just didn't want to help my Mum out with the cost of the wedding...Not that she wanted him to. Tosser!

2) Make sure I leave out some suitable socks for Hubby to wear. He said he couldn't find any matching black socks on the morning and turned up in a bright red, yellow and green pair. When we sat down at the head table during the wedding dinner his trousers rose and all everyone looked at was his hilarious socks. I wasn't impressed.

3) Make sure Hubby DOES NOT go to McDonald's the morning of the wedding in his Top Hat and Tails for a quick burger as his nerves really took over when he approached the church and he up-chucked that yummy burger at the Church doors...Nice.

4) Announce to everyone during the speeches that We were NOT marrying simply because I was up the duff. Hubbies sister overheard some guests saying that hubby was only marrying me because I was pregnant...erm 22 years later, I don't think so... He may of only been 18 but he did actually love me and want to get married.

5) Please Do not wear one of those cap veil thingies. It drove me Nuts all day long as it kept slipping to the side of my head...argh!
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Wow what an amazing wedding story. Sad but happy at the same time. And I'm so glad you had such an amazing Mum to make up for your Dad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post about your Wedding Day and the little brother you never knew.

    I have discovered my mam had an older sister who died and my dad had 2 more brothers and 2 more sisters who also died that we had never heard about all because I am doing the family tree. I don't know if my parents were aware of these babies or not but I think maybe not, although dad's older siblings must have known!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress btw - rather like mine on the skirt - must post some of my photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww that first bit was so sad.

    Lol at your hubby and socks though. Sounds like the sort of thing mine would do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely storey. Very sad but happy too. I wonder what the folk at McDonalds thought when he went in for his burger? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Mum sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

    Congratulations on 22 years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely read! How hard that secret must have been on your mum, but for the sun to be shining down on your wedding day courtesy of your brother - beautiful. It's making me have a think about what I would change about our wedding - perhaps a post for our 6th anniversary in the summer! xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...