Thursday, 24 March 2011

flashback friday - The Golden Jubilee

These photo's for Flashback Friday were taken in 2002 during the Queen's Golden jubilee. They are a handful of snaps that my Mum took during our day trip into London. We went up to Trafalgar square where we sat on the grass with thousand's of other people and had lunch before we waved to the Queen and prince Philip as they travelled past us in their stunning Golden carriage.

There was also a fantastic carnival that day, the sun was shining and we all had a superb day. I was there with my four kids, one of my best friend's and her kids and My Mum, brothers and a couple of other friends.


I'm the one on the end, on the right, in the red T-shirt with the 'Trotters independent Traders' three wheeled buggy, haha. We are massive 'Only fools & Horses' fans and we nicknamed the buggy 'Del boy'...It was actually one of the best buggies I've ever used albeit a little on the 'Bright' side. The Golden Jubilee was also around the same time as The World Cup so that is why most of us are wearing England tops and caps.



The Crowds were huge.


We were joined by the London pearly Kings & Queens. Each London borough has a Pearly King & Queen and its an old tradition that originated at the beginning of the 19th century. Pearly Kings & Queens decorate their clothing with hundreds of pearl buttons and collect money for charities. I always love to spot a pearly King, they look fab!

And of course Mum loved the carnival so much she wanted in on the action, so she got chatting to one of the carnival girls and they gave her a hat to try on. It absolutely made Mum's day.


Please pop over to the lovely Karin over at Cafe Bebe and take a look at the other Flasback Friday entries.



9 comments:

  1. Great pics...looks like a fantastic atmosphere. I remember the Silver Jubilee celebrations! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colourful photos which really bring alive the atmosphere of the day x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill & Wendy...I remember the silver jubilee too, lol I was 7. Brilliant memories from that day...street parties galore x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Thanks Jenny...Love your Appledore post...makes me homesick xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing and HISTORICAL pictures! How brilliant! Now, are you going to do the same for the Royal Wedding this year?!? ;)

    Thanks so much for linking up with Flashback Friday!

    :) Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed the Golden Jubilee but I remember the silver one, our street held a party and I was allowed to wear my long dress - very in vogue at the time.
    Great photos, love your mum in her hat :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw how lovely - what great memories and photos. I vaguely remember the silver jubliee when I was about 4 I think. I still have mugs and things x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...