Tuesday, 1 February 2011

The Hen House



Its about time you had a visit to The Hen House. They are all doing well although we did lose one. Vera, she was sadly at the bottom of the pecking order and the was very weak when we got her. The other hens bullied her and rarely let her eat from the feeders. I hand fed her all through the summer and after a while she appeared to have started to fit in with the other girls as she got bigger and stronger. Then we were hit with that really cold snap and I spent less time outside in the Penn and one morning as Papa opened the Hen House he found her...she was gone.




All the remaining Hens are thriving. Their feathers have now grown back because if you can remember they are ex battery hens so were pretty featherless when I got them. You can view the post by clicking here and see the difference. Its taken since last July for them to get their pretty red coats back.



They are looking happy here with us and love their Hen House



So what about eggs?
Well during the warmer months I was collecting 5-7 per day. I had delicious fresh laid eggs coming out of my ears and frequently gave them out to neighbours, friends & family.


During the winter we rarely get any eggs...In fact we are down to zero at the moment. Once spring arrives we shall expect to collect my basket full daily as before. Oh and I often get asked about Mr Fox. Do we get trouble from them? The answer is Yes. They are always in my garden but so far have not been able to get into the pen. They do try it on though....

If we spot them we open the gate at let Luna our Boxer dog bounce out there to chase them. They don't bother us much after that.

8 comments:

  1. Hiya, I'm fairly new to your blog and haven't had the chance to do my usual trawling backwards over your previous posts, so I wanted to ask a question, but didn't want to seem ignorant if it's something you've already written about...whew, anyway!

    Do you need any sort of livestock licence to keep chickens? Also, do you have a big garden, and do you live rurally?

    Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I love your post and would love to give a good home to some overworked battery hens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Jayne,

    I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Keeping chickens really is great and they are sooooo easy to keep.

    My garden is about 70ft long but garden size does not matter. I know someone with a small yard that has a couple in a small coop.

    I live in the countryside but it is a town with lots of neighbours. The chickens do not really make much noise so it isn't a problem. Its only if you get a male (A rooster or cockerall)that noise might be a problem.

    And No livestock licence is needed for a small amount of hens. I have 7 and I think you only need apply for a licence if you have quite a lot.

    If you need any help or further advice please feel free to email me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! I gave it an award over at http://parentwin.blogspot.com

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I gave it an award over at http://parentwin.blogspot.com

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sny! Just rolling thru to check in on ya to say "HELLO!" I hope you are enjoying your day and I pray ALL is going well for ya. *smile* Stay Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely girls! It breaks my heart when one of them goes. We have 5 and they are not thrilled with all the snow we are having. Looking forward to tulling around on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just awarded you with the Stylish Blogger Award!!! You can go to my blog for the details!
    Much Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...