Monday, 24 January 2011

Actionaid - What makes you feel the happiest?

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” ~ Frederick Keonig


Today's post is helping to raise awareness for actionaid as they kick off their newest campaign to end global poverty. They have been asking people what makes them feel at their happiest. The top ten results were:
1. Helping someone who needs you
2. Receiving an unexpected compliment
3. Hearing the sound of the sea
4. Sitting in the sunshine
5. Listening to music
6. Eating your favourite food
7. Hearing happy laughter
8. Winning money
9. Going for a walk on the beach
10. Having a snowball fight


Pop over and watch actionaids video here

So what makes me feel the happiest? That is such an easy question to for me to answer and the answer is watching my kids enjoy the simple things in life.

Kids today put so much emphasis on the material things that our world has to offer them that they often miss the 'small' stuff and forget to appreciate the little things in life.
Our children are favouring more and more to spend their time sitting in front of all things electronic. TV, video games, the Internet, mobile phones... the list is endless, all these things have our kids permanently plugged into technology and increasingly disconnected from their natural environment.





But Hey I'm no saint. I am guilty of buying these things for my own kids. How can you not when they want to have the things all their friends have and as a parent you want them to be happy? Getting the balance right is no easy task and raising kids who aren't materialistic is a constant uphill battle.


I don't want my kids to become adults who are so concerned with materialism that they lose the real importance of their lives and true feelings of happiness. Their main focus turning towards working too many hours to pay for that bigger house, racier car or designer handbag. Working too many hours that leave them with feelings of being unfilled and dis-satisfied as they miss quality time with their own families.



I yearn for them to appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds them... the great outdoors and the fun that can be had in life without spending money. The joy a walk in the countryside with their family can bring and the feeling of love, togetherness and unity that can be felt as they explore mother nature.

Helping my kids to open their eyes and appreciate these things is important to me and so I am happiest when I see my kids enjoying these precious moments together...Moments like these remind me that I am truly blessed.

So what makes you feel at your happiest?

1 comment:

  1. Hanging out with family and friends, talking, playing games and just being together.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...